Sunday, September 11, 2011

Rain Man

Back in the day there was a commercial about a margarine-type of spread which through some miracle of modern technology lacked all of the bad attributes of butter. It closed with a thunderclap and strike of lightning, and the statement "It's not nice to fool Mother Nature."


And thus, I must take responsibility for mocking Hurricane Irene (not Stella) in my last post. Perhaps this contributed to the next 7 days of continuous downpouring, the likes of which hasn't been seen here in 50 years. The damage done by Irene was nothing short of catastrophic for many. I only hope they can recover, and I am glad it was not worse in my area after all.

The next 7 days was due to Lee I think. I don't know if it was a hurricane or a tropical storm, but it rained like hell for most of the east coast. I don't mind the rain so much. But I didn't park in this Reston commuter lot either.


The W&OD Trail is just to the left of this picture. I ride by this lot frequently and have parked here on occasion. Note to self: Pick one of the upper spaces.

It calls to mind the words of Longfellow, who certainly had more than his share of rain to ponder in the old home of Portland:

THE day is cold, and dark, and dreary;
It rains,and the wind is never weary;
The vine still clings to the mouldering wall,
But at every gust the dead leaves fall,
  And the day is dark and dreary.

My life is cold, and dark, and dreary;
It rains,and the wind is never weary;
My thoughts still cling to the mouldering past,
But the hopes of youth fall thick in the blast,
  And the days are dark and dreary.

Be still, sad heart, and cease repining;
Behind the clouds is the sun still shining;
Thy fate is the common fate of all,
Into each life some rain must fall,
  Some days must be dark and dreary.


My father used to quote the second to the last line as his way of dismissing whatever the problem was. For indeed in each life some rain must fall. So unless you prefer to be miserable, and want to view life as dark and dreary, learn to dance in it. For the rain will stop eventually and you will have missed the opportunity.