Saturday, October 8, 2011

The Shadow Knows

The other day I turned the XM dial to Classical Radio Broadcasts and listened to several episodes of The Shadow. As the hero, Lamont Cranston, foiled the plans of Murder, Inc. wholesome lessons of life, work ethic and moral code were dispensed in a folksy, Andy of Mayberry kind of way. But one never forgets the opening line:
[diabolical echoing tone]:
"Who knows...what EVIL...lurks...in the hearts of men?    The Shadow Knows! bahahahaha".


As I rode my bike through the filtered light from the canopy above, an idea occurred to me. We all have secrets, things we've done that we'd rather not share. They live in our shadows.

When I expose these secrets to the light of day, examine them and make amends where I can, the chains I have forged in life are lightened, and I feel like my shadow is less dark.

And the more I follow the right path, the less evil lurks in my shadow. For I can't outrun it, yet I cast a new one each day.