Friday, June 25, 2010

Diamonds in the Rough

I remember an ancient Superman TV episode starring George Reeves where to appease the natives he (as Clark Kent) reached into the quicksand with a lump of coal in his hand and squeezed it until he plucked out a perfect, fist sized diamond. The peasants rejoiced, and Lois and Jimmy were spared the kettle. I knew this was remotely possible, because after all..."pressure makes diamonds".

Unless the diamond is cultured or lab-created, it will have naturally occurring flaws embedded within it knowns as occlusions. These are in effect shortcomings of the perfect diamond. Diamonds can't remove their flaws. If we look closely enough at ourselves, we can see many of our flaws and even do something about removing them. We'll never get them all, but we should have the courage to remove those we can.

In writing this post I couldn't recall if the right term was occlusion. Turns out inclusion often gets used interchangeably. I stumbled across a pretty cool blog that I'll share:

http://occludedsun.wordpress.com/

Oh, and in case you didn't know, George Reeves ended up painting the wall with his brains. Too much pressure I guess.