Thursday, November 11, 2010

One Moment Please


There are special moments in life that stand out among all others. Somehow etched deeply in the psyche, forever like they were only the moment before. Often one can look back and say - "that moment changed my life". Wouldn't it suck if you missed one because of Operator Error? If you weren't paying attention? Because you were not living in the moment? The moment is still there, but you cheated yourself - because when you know it's one of those moments while it's happening - for that instant - wow. You are aligned with the Cosmic Infidibulum.

I remember that night in Kennedy's in Blacksburg like it was yesterday. Looking up two flights of stairs I saw her. She smiled at me and somehow I knew. The night was in its infancy. My head was clear and there was no need to rely on plastic cup courage. My confidence lied in that moment - I knew she was the girl for me. I strode, nay - swashbuckled - my way up the stairs.

She appeared surprised at my bold, easygoing attitude but readily explained -  she was smiling at the person behind me.

It is often said - When the student is ready, the teacher will appear. This is the moment of learning. Be ready. Keep a clear head so you'll recognize it. That night, I knew it was one of those moments. We'll celebrate 28 years this May.