Friday, September 24, 2010

Porta-God

I remember a most excellent sermon delivered by the late Reverend Jim Snow. Actually, all of his sermons were excellent but this one in particular stuck with me. It had to do with that feeling you get when you reach into your jeans and find a $5 bill. The gist of it was, that God is like that too. Found in unexpected places. I recall telling him on the way out that I knew exactly what he meant, that I had found him in me.

I always thought of God as being a big thing - after all, there's a lot of ground to cover. But recently I've been able to see God's work in all things, and to know that I carry him with me all the time. There is no token or chip or $5 bill, but he's there in my pocket nonetheless. I kind of like carrying God in my pocket. It's only fair since he's been doing it to me for a long time.