Friday, October 22, 2010

Dominoes of Revenge

"An eye for an eye would make the whole world blind." - Ghandi
 
So if you happened to read yesterday's entry, you might have asked yourself "What the hell would make somebody think that doing something so screwed up was acceptable?" At least that's what I said. What WOULD make somebody ride their minibike down a gravel road at dusk? Unbelievable.

But seriously, that's probably what HE said when he hit the log I left there. These things happen sometimes. And sometimes, we do stop and ask "What did I do to deserve this?"

Once when I was about 10 or 11 I went camping with a couple of friends. This is where I first learned about behavior like this. The lesson, as you will see, was indelible. After setting up camp we were starting to get bored. We decided to walk up to the store and get some candy. And there we were, walking back along that 50 mph dual-lane rural highway, chewing bubble gum with a bag full of fireballs and Bazooka Joe, against traffic. And then.

It was like it happened in slow motion. I see this guy's arm hanging out the window. He's releasing what turned out to be the inner core of a golf ball. You know, about an inch-and-a-half in diameter, hard and bouncy. Kind of like a superball. I kept my eye on the ball and took the short hop RIGHT IN THE NUTS. And let me tell you friends, at 50 mph, a one hop superball really leaves a mark.

And for the record, I was able to pull myself together long enough to get the log off the trail and avoided "paying it forward". That day. It might have taken over 30 years, but hey - that golf ball was reeeally moving!